Today, I went to the orphanage in Miraflores. I found out last night at 9 pm that this was the plan. And, yes, blessings do come in unexpected ways.
Hmmm. I just decided right I don’t want to re-hash my day… to describe each event in a battle to find the right words. I’m content with the pictures without words in my mind. But, I will share these thoughts (I’m really into the bullets and numbers lately!):
- LOVE spending time with students… I mean I really love it (like not in a it’s-my-job kind of way)
- these are things that have crazy effects on my hyper-active levels: coffee, sugar, and balloons (I know what you are thinking – is this girl 5 years old??)
- had one of those “I live here” moments today… sometimes I just repeat to myself, “This is home,” to remind my mind how deep my heart is getting in
- startled myself with the question, “when does your mom not become the first person you want to comfort you?” … and what of those without moms? oooh. que cosa!
- this week is getting shorter and now I am wondering if it is as much trying to get everything done as it is that I actually really just like being here…
- you know what confuses me: family traditions. am i the ONLY one that is still holding tightly to those beautiful, expected “typical” family things we do every single year (or whenever possible)? I don’t know how many times I’ve told our Christmas traditions stories (like the time we packed the sugar cookies and frosting and decorating supplies last year when we went to Colorado so the decorating contest could stay alive!) to people with blank faces that respond with, “Well, we open gifts on Christmas Eve.” I’m like, “What?” I have to hold myself back from inviting them right there to Nichols Christmas because I love it so much. Makes me want to pack it all in a miracle shoebox and carry it with me wherever life is leading. I just can’t part with it!
Love and peace and joy. The blessings of this season are available all year-round, folks!